1914 – 1921
This period was mainly a period of studying Ahmadiyyat through literature, communications between Nigeria and the Centre in Qadian, of organizing and forming the Jama’at.
Among the first members to sign the Baiat were Alhaji Imran Adewuyi Onibudo, Alhaji Muhammad Lawal, Basil Agusto, Musendiku Buraimoh Adeniji Adele (who later became the Oba of Lagos 1949 – 1964), Kasumu Rufai Ajose, Adam Idowu Yakub, Jibril Martins, Ismail Ayinde Shitta-Bay, Muhammad Jimoh Abdus-Salam, (often called Selem), Imam Yusau Popoola Oyesile Shodeinde, Alfa Umar Imam (a Kanuri) Tiamiyu Adeola Marquis, Bello Babatunde Salami, Junaid Yusuf Mashhod Danmola (Onitira).
Others are Abdur-Rahman Ashafa Balogun, Hamzat Adio Subair, Bisiriyu Disu, Lawal Makanju, Saka Tinubu, Abdul Karimu Tinubu, Landa Tinubu, Lamidi Tinubu, Abdus Salam, Ebun Agbabiaka and brothers, Gbadamosi A. Fanimokun, I.L. Durosinmi Etti, Tijani Adele, Tijani Ariyo, S.A. Alaka, Lawal A. Bada, Abdur Rahim A. Smith, Nurudeen Said, Abbass Elegba, Teacher Yunus Boonyaminu Gbajabiamila, Muazin Abdus Salam Dosu, Muhammad Shittu Ade John, Lawal Pedro, Yunus Hamid, Sulaiman Wilson Shonibare , Saka Lawal Ayeni, Raji B. Ipaye, Muhammad Bello Lawal (alias Akuuli), Abdus Salam Akerele, Liasu Akerele and Sanni Akerele.
The meeting place was Agusto’s rented house NO.62 Bamgbose Street, Lagos Island, where Ahmadi literature from India formed an important part of the basis for the thinking and planning of the young educated Muslims.
This period was used mainly for consolidation of the membership, study of Islam through Ahmadiyya literature and planning for the progress of the Muslims: There was no evidence available to us to show that Ahmadiyya Jama’at spread beyond Lagos during this period. Many of the pioneers later deflected after the crisis that culminated in the split of 1940.
1921 – 1922
This was the period when the first expatriate Missionary Hazrat Maulana Abdur Rahim Nayyar came to spend a brief period in Nigeria. He was in Nigeria from April 1921 to July 1922. During this period Maulana Nayyar (r.a.)8 carried out such useful Tabligh activities that helped the strengthening of the Ahmadiyya Jama’at in Lagos and its spread to nearly areas. Among the places he visited outside Lagos were Ilorin, Zaria, Kano and Sokoto.
When he delivered a lecture at the Ahlil’Qur’an Mosque in 1921, the Ahlil’Qur’an Jama’at was so convinced that they decided to sign the Baiat and join Ahmadiyyat. The Ahlil’Qur’an Jama’at did actually with the Ahmadiyya Jama’at.
8 (r.a.) Radh Allahu Anhum – Meaning May God be pleased with him.
The easy conviction of the Ahlil’Qur’an Jama’at was principally due to the fact that before the arrival of Maulana Nayyar (r.a.) the Imam of the Jama’at Alfa Ayanmo reported to them that he saw in a vision the Promised Messiah and Mahdi (a.s.) who promised him that though he might not personally visit this country, but a great follower of his would come to reform, guide, elevate and make stronger the position of the people and that whosoever would hearken to his voice with the Holy Qur’an in his hand would prosper, but whosoever would not would perish.
Hazrat Maulana Nayyar (r.a.) encouraged the Ahmadiyya Jama’at to acquire a piece of land and build their own school. He advised them to sacrifice a month’s salary each for the building of the School. This School, Taalim-ul-Islam School was thus opened on Monday 4th September, 1922 about two months after the Maulana had left Nigeria.During his tenure of office as the Amir and Missionary in charge of Nigeria, Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama’at was established in Ebute-Metta, Yaba and Epe in 1921.
This was the period during which the Nigerian Jama’at was left alone without an expatriate Missionary after Hazrat Maulana A.R. Nayyar (r.a) had left. The Jama’at had to take care of themselves. During this period the Ahmadiyya Jama’at spread to Agidingbi, Epe, Yaba, Ibadan, Ijede, Ota, Ebute-Metta, Omu-Ijebu and Ado-Odo. We now relate in turn historical accounts of the establishment of these missions.
YABA MISSION: 1921
MEMBERS of the Yaba Jama’at of the World Wide Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama’at, Nigeria Branch, had its off-shoot from Lagos Island as far back as 1921.
The following were some of the pioneers of the Yaba Jama’at: Pa J. A. Balogun, Pa S.O. Bakare, Pa B. I. Akodu, Pa S. A. Ibrahimoh, Pa Guard alli, Pa Y. P. O. Shodeinde and Pa H. O. Sanyaolu.
The above named were members of the then known Division two, comprising – Isale-Eko, Isale-Gangan and Ereko areas of Lagos Island Division 111 – Ebute Metta and Yaba before the split away in 1934.
After the split in 1934, it became very difficult for these few members to have meetings. The condition lingered on for years, until the re-birth of the present Yaba Jama’at in 1968 when Lagos Circuit Executive commissioned Brother A. R. Ade Bakare, Assistant Secretary for Lagos Island Jama’at residing in Yaba to see that all members of the Jama’at resident in yaba areas had regular meetings at the residence of the first President and one of the earliest and oldest member of the Jama’at, Late Pa S. O. Bakare of 40 Queens Street, Yaba.
The Mission members became fully active as from 1972 with about 30 adult members. The present officers of the Mission are: Alhaji Sanyaolu President, Alhaji A. F. F. A. Junaid – Financial Secretary, Brother A. R. Ade Bakare, Secretary and Bro. Shamsideen A. Ibraheem – Secretary Tabligh.
AGIDINGBI MISSION: 1922
Ahmadiyyat was introduced into Agidingbi by Alhaji Imam Abu Bakar Yusuf who joined Ahmadiyyat at the hands of Alhaji Maulana Abdur-Raheem Nayyar in 1922. From this, it is inferred that Ahmadiyyat reached Agidingbi in 1922.
Thus, the first Ahmadiyya Mosque in Nigeria built outside Lagos Island was that at Agidingbi.
The prominent early members of the Jama’at were the late Alhaji Imam A. B. Yusuf Eyebiokin and the late Papa Saka Adamu. They went through great difficulties to get the Jama’at established.
Alhaji A. B. Yusuf passed away in Median on 17th September, 1974 while performing pilgrimage.
The Jama’at suffered a lot of deprivations from the immediate and remote non-Ahmadi members of their families to make them renounce their faith in Ahmadiyyat. Nevertheless they remained firm to the cause of Ahmadiyyat. Imam A. B. Yusuf was once promised the status of Imam Ratibi of Agidingbi and environs around 1947 if he would renounce Ahmadiyyat but he declined the offer to the disappointment of the non-Ahmadis.
EPE MISSION: 1922
AHMADIYYA Muslim mission was introduced to the people of Epe between 1921 and 1922 through the intiative of Alhaji Akodu who brought Maulana A. R. Nayyar in the company of other converts, Imam Ope and Alfa Ismail Ayinde Shitta, for the first time to Epe.
The first lecture took place in front of Imam Kaka’s house being the seat of learned Mallams and Quranic Centre in the town. Most people were not satisfied with the Maulvi’s lecture. They did not accept that the Mahdi had come. They became unruly and even threw stones at the Ahmadiyya delegation. Alfa Busari Egberongbe, Alfa Abdul Yekini Abaniwonda and others from among them insisted that the lecture should continue for they were satisfied with the way in which various questions put to the Ahmadiyya members were answered.
Another date was then fixed for the debate. Maulana Nayyar came from Lagos again to attend the debate. The people assembled in front of Bunofano’s house at Oke-Balogun. Maulvi Nayyar started his lecture by sighting the Hadiths relating to the advent of the Promised Messiah and Mahdi which were read to their hearing.
When the non-Ahmadi groups were asked to produce their own evidence, they brought out “Muwatta Imam Maliki” which did not relate to their argument. The Maulvi asked them to produce any evidence that contradicted his standpoint or the books he brought. They could not produce any such to substantiate their position.
As a result, Alfa. Y. S. Abaniwonda, Nofiu Biliaminu, Busari Egberongbe and others decided that they would sign the Baiat (Oath of allegience to the Promised Messiah and Mahdi). Maulvi Nayyar was invited for further lecture by these men, but he sent Imam Ope to represent him. The men signed the Baiat when Imam Ope came and delivered lecture.
Alfa Shitta always come to Epe to give lectures and to train the new members. Alfa Salem also contributed to the progress of Ahmadiyya in Epe. Alfa Y. S. Abaniwonda had become well trained that he used to lead the Jama’at in prayer and organise public lectures regularly. He was so successful in his preaching that the Jama’at gained the upper hand over other religious groups and the Jama’at increased in large numbers. The first mosque was built at Oke-Owode Street, Epe.
The Jama’at preached freely in the town and extended their missionary activities to neighbouring towns and villages like Iwopin, Omu, Ode-Omi, Ise, Ibeju, Orimedu, Iji and Ijebu-Ode. The Jama’at marched forward under the leadership of Alfa Yekini Abaniwonda, Alhaji A. G. Kuku, and Maulvi Janjuwa and Missionary Jamiu J. Bada.
Ile-Ife Mission- 1922:
It was in 1922 that the Ife people came to know about Sadr – Anjuman – Ahmadiyya,. This was the second town Ahmadiyya got to in Nigeria outside the then Lagos area.
In the year 1930 the same year Oba Adesoji Aderemi the Ooni of Ife was crowned as the 49th Ooni of Ife, the following Muslim brothers started the establishment of Sadr-Anjuman – Ahmadiyya in Ife.
They are Alhaji Sunmola Akanni Laramo (Ile-Seru) Allinson Eluyera (Ita-Agbon), Kasali Silva Akintibubo (Orunto Adogbodo) ,Salami Agunbiade (Enuwa) , Muritala Adeojo (Ile Adagba) , Bello Akintibubo (Orunto Adogbodo) ,Yahaya Fatunmise (Gidiogbo), Salami Fatunmise (Gidiogbo), Buremo Areago (Ilare), Kasali Adeyemi (Ogbon Oya), Shittu Adenekan (Atiba), Yahaya Hassan (Atiba), Kasali Akanni (Seru), Saliu Ojo (Ikogun), Alhaji Sunmola Akanni became the first Ife Branch President, Alfa Yahaya Hassan become the first Imam while Allinson Eluyera was the principal financier of the new Jama’at.
He latter led a delegation of Lagos in 1932 to arrange for visit of the formally launch of the Jama’at in Ile -Ife.
Allinson Eluyera by then was the Executive Secretary to the Local Government Council known as Ooni –In- Council. He was a powerful man in Ife land and very close to the Ooni of Ife.
In the year 1933, the headquarters in Lagos agreed to launch the Jama’at in Ife land. The delegate was headed by the Nigeria President of the Sadr-Anjuman Ahmadiyya, Alhaji Y.P.O. Shodehinde, Alhaji H.O. Sanyaolu, Brother Ipaye, Murtala Animashahun, Brother Olokodana, Alhaji Babatunde Ishmail Ajose and Alhaji Jibril Matins.
During this period Alhaji Fazlur Rahman Hakeem replaced Alhaji Maulana Abdur Raheem Nayyar who was the first Amir and Missionary –In- Charge of Nigeria from 1922 May to January 1923. He approved the visit to Ile-Ife.
The Ooni Oba Adesoji Aderemi was informed of the visit and he also invited his Chiefs and other Muslim Brothers who were not Ahmadis to his palace that day.
The invited guests include Chief Imam of Ife, Imam Abdulkaseem Adesosun, the Balogun of Musulumi Adefioye, The Seriki Musulumi Adeyefa, The Sarumi Musulumi, The Otun Musulumi Amoda, Alfa Oseni Odukuru and Alfa Sulaiman Jojolade.
Sadr Anjuman Ahmadiyya was welcomed to Ife land by the Ooni of Ife Oba Adesoji Aderemi but the other Muslims were opposed to the visit because according to them to observed two Jumat prayers in a town will shorten the life of an Oba of that town. But Ooni later found this to be untrue. He allowed the Ahmadis to stay in Ifeland.
In 1934, the first Missionary, Alfa Alimi Damola a Lagosian was sent to Ile-Ife, with his family coordinate the affairs of Ife Jama’at. After a lot of struggle for a permanent place of worship, the present land housing the Central Mosque No. 10 Iremo Road Ile-Ife was bought from Mr. Rufus Kanduwa in 1938.
Alhaji Fazlur Rahman Hakeem -the Amir to Nigeria visited Ile-Ife in 1937. His first port of call was the Ooni’s palace and the temporary mosque in front of Allinson Eluyera’s House at Ita Agbon Ile-Ife. He held a public lecture at Oke Sokun in the front of the then Chief Imam of Ife residence, with the permission of the Chief Imam.
A lot of questions were asked and answered. More than a thousand people males and females, young and old signed the Bai’at. Ife community used the oppurtunity to know more about Ahmadis and their beliefs. However , there was misunderstanding among members as result of the misunderstanding within the leadership of the Jamaat in Lagos,the mosque at No. 10, Iremo Road Ile-Ife was ordered to be closed down.Temporary mosque was put up behind our Imam Yahaya Hassan’s house at Atiba opposite Ife Museum, Ile-Ife. Ooni of Ife later intervained and settled the matter in favour of a faction with the support of one of the members working closely with him.
Consequence upon this, the headquarter in Lagos filed an Appeal in Lagos at the West African Court of Appeal, The Ooni of Ife was ordered to hands off the matter for the Court.
Extract of the Judgment Reads:-
In the West African Court of Appeal holding at Lagos, Nigeria on Saturday, the 7th day of May 1949 before their honours.
Sir, Henry Walter Butter Blackall, K.C. President
Sir, John Verity, Chief Justice, Nigeria
Charles Abbott, Puisne Judge, Nigeria
BETWEEN W.A.C 2822
1. Alhaji Jibril martin Plaintiffs
2. B.A. Fanimokun Appellants
3. S.I. Ayeni
1. Alhaji F.R. Hakeem Defendants
2. H.O. Sanyaolu Respondents
3. O.G. Kuku
This is an appeal from a decision, giving in the Supreme Court of Nigeria at Ibadan, by Jibowu J. The appellants, who were the plaintiffs at first instance, failed in their claim for the Exclusive possession of certain premises, known as the Ahmadiyya Mosque at Ife. Their claim was founded upon the contentions that the Mosque is the property of a religious community, of which they are members, within he faith of Islam and that they are lawfully appointed trustees of the Mosque. In the year 1916 there came into existence in Nigeria a branch of a religious movement known as the Sadr-Anjuman-Ahmadiyya, which movement has its Headquarter at Qadian in India and owes spiritual allegiance to one Hazrat Mirza Bashirud-Din Mahmud Ahmad, known as His Holiness the Khalifatul Masih. The appellants and the respondents were members of this movement and of its branch in Nigeria.
In 1938 the Mosque was acquired by the movement unhappy difference into which it is not necessary to go arose within the Nigerian branch of the movement with the result that on the 29th of December 1939, the Khalifatul, through the first respondent as his agent in Nigeria, withdrew his recognition of certain members of the movement, among whom were the appellants. The appellants, however, continued to regard themselves bound by the tenants of the movement in all respects except one; they no longer regarded the Khalifatul as their religious leader.
In 1913 the appellants brought into existence a new constitution to replace the earlier constitution, to which they had previously subscribed and which enjoined allegiance to the khalifatul. In the 1913 constitution all reference to the Khalifatul disappeared and whereas under the old constitution the Khalifatul was the final arbiter in matters of appeal, under the 1913 constitution the first applicants, as president of the new movement became final arbiter.
It was argued both here and in the court below that the applicants, by superimposing a new constitution, had withdraw from the parent movement and the learned trial judge, in a long and careful judgment held that this was so. I see no reason to disturb his findings of fact, which are borne out by the terms of the 1943 constitution, in which it is worthy of note, the appellants ascribed a new name (that of Ahmadiyya movement-in-Islam) to the movement. The learned trial judge held that the appellants, by their own acts, seceded from the movement of which they were once members and that they were not entitled, by reason of their secession, to the property of the movement.
This, in my view was the correct decision; this appeal should be dismissed, with costs in favour of the respondents in the sum of £42:4:6d.
(Sgg) C.T. ABBOTT
Puisne Judge, Nigeria
I concur (Sgd) H.W.B. BLACKALL, PRESIDENT
I concur (sgd) HOHN VERITY
CHIEF, JUSTICE, Nigeria.
Certified True Copy
(Sgd) E.A. Bamgboye,
Acting Deputy Registrar,
West African Court of Appeal,
Paid 5/6d on CR. 157522/40/17.549
After the judgment the Jama’at started on a new platform at the present place No. 10 Iremo Road Ile-ife and the other side that seceded established their own mosque at Ilare Area of Ile-Ife under their new name Ahmadiyya movement in Islam. The other party retained Sadr-Anjuman Ahmadiyya.
After the crisis, these following people worked tremendously to the Jama’at effectively. They are Pa: Abdul-Salami Jimoh “aka SELEM”, Imam Yahaya Hassan, Alh. A.R.A. Oluwa, Pa. Kasali Akanmu Pa. Yahaya, Fatunmise, Pa. Salami Fatunmise, Alimi Akintibubo, Alfa M.J.O. Hassan Bro. M.B.A. Junaid, Yusuf Omope and Elder Brothers. Pa. Raji, a farmer at Odesomi village off Ilesa Road in Ile-Ife. He was instrumental to the establishment of Agric Mission’ in the early fifties with the assistance of Alfa Oluwa.
Alfa A.R.A. Oluwa left indelible mark on the Ife Jama’at during his stay in Ile Ife .During the period a lot of missions were established outside Ile Ife.. From the late seventies towards the end of Eighties, the following people carried on the good work of Alfa A.R.A. Oluwa, they were Bro. M.B.A. Junnaid, Alfa, Ameen from Ede town, Bro. Lasisi Olarewaju, Lasisi Ayinde Bro. Salaudeen A. Lawal, Alhaji. Isiaq Lawal, Bro. S.D.A. Ahmad, Alh. Yusuf Amuda Hassan, A.K. Durodola, Bro. Adegboyega, Bro. Lamidi Fakeye, Alh. Kamardeen Ayoade, bro. B.A. Okeleye, Bro. Tijani Ayan, Bro. M.M. Orabiyi among others.
Missionaries were always posted to Ife regularly including Central Missionaries. All the auxiliaries bodies of the Jamaat were fully established. These are, Lajna Imaillah, Khuddamul, Nasrat, Atfal and Majlis Ansarullah.
We shouldn’t forget the activities worthy of emulation of three of our leaders in Ife Jama’at. Alfa A.R.A. Oluwa who donated the whole of iron sheet meant for his proposed building in Ile-Ife to Roof the Mosque. Brother B.A. Okeleye who donated the present praying mates to the Mosque in seventies which we still use presently and (3) Alfa Jihmoh Abdul Salami (a.k.a. SELEM) who came from Abeokuta and actively participate in Tabligh Activities in Ife land and later asked the Jama’at to bury him in Ife if he dies, He was buried behind the central Mosque in Ife according to his wishes.
In the year 1986 during the tenure of Maulvi Abdul Rasheed Ahmad Agboola as the Amir and Missionary –In- Charge of Nigeria Jama’at and Missionary Alhaji M.M. Alaka persuaded the seceders to rejoined the Jama’at after a long contact.
The initial talks with them were spare headed by Bro. Azeez Ayinde, Alh. M.M. Orabiyi and Bro. Salaudeen Lawal from our own side here and Alhaji Abdulateef Eluyera from their own side, Alhaji Abdulateef Eluyera a son to Pa: Allinson Eluyera played a unique role in the new unification and they all resigned their Baiat at the hand of the Amir Maulvi A.R.A. Agboola at Ile-ife Central Mosque at No. 10, Iremo Road, Ile-Ife in the year 1986.
Those who led the seceders in resigning their Bai’at are Pa. Yusuf Adedoyin who was their Imam, Pa: Salami Odunlami, Alh. Lateef Eluyera, Alhaji Lamidi Odunlami with others including their wives and children.
Ife Circuit came into existence in the early 1960’s with the following Jamaat Ile-Ife, Ibadan, Ondo, Ikire, Modakeke Ode-Omu, Iwo, Orulu, and Owerri through relentless tabling activities of Alfa A.R.A. Oluwa and others.
Alfa A.R.A. Oluwa and his team extended their preaching and tabligh programmes to Osogbo, Ilesa, ogbaagba, Ilemowu, Telemu and other towns and villages where Ahmadiyya Jama’at exist today in Osun State. Alfa A.R.A. Oluwa became the first Ife Circuit Chairman.
There were smooth Tabligh activities after the then Western Region Crisis of 1965/66 which led to the establishment of many Jama’ats.
Internal Crisis of the Jama’at in 1974 popularized the Jama’at and led to the establishment of many missions and Circuit in Nigeria , Ondo and Oyo Circuits were carved out of the then Ife Circuit, this happened during the period of the acting Circuit Chairman Alfa Amin of Ede who led the Circuit for a brief period of one year.
Bro. M.B.A. Junaid became the Circuit President in 1974. Ife Circuit witnessed a large number of converts and Mosque building. Osogbo, Ode Omu, IIesa, Ikirun, Ilase, Ila Orangun, Ikirun, Otan Ayegbaju Mosque to mention but a few were built during his period. Construction of Ile-Ife Misison House was also one of his achievements.
Alhaji M.H.A. Akinwale relieved Bro, M.B.A. Junaid in 1995 and served as the Circuit President till 1998 when Osun Circuit was carved out of Ife Circuit.
Presently Ife Circuit comprises of Ile-ife, Modakeke, Ode-Omu, Ilesa, Ikire, Ilase, Iwaraja, Gbongan, Tonkere, Otan Ile and Ijeda .
ZARIA MISSION: 1922
Although divergent opinions were expressed as to the exact date of establishing the Mission in Zaria, it is however clear that the Mission was established in the early part of 1920’s. Some said that it was established in 1922 during the visit of Maulana Abdur Raheem Nayyar.
The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), with Zaria as a junction, played a supportive role for the early converts to Ahmadiyyat. There were many Yoruba workers some of who were Ahmadi Muslims who preached Ahmadiyyat at Zaria. The few people that formed the Jama’at then were able to organise Arabic classes with Alhaji A. Q. Shinaba, Pa B. .M. Giwa and Alhaji Aminu as Arabic Teachers. They made the mosque a unique place for Islamic religious activities in Sabon Gari, Zaria at that time.
During the tenure of Maulvi F. R. Hakeem as the second Ahmadiyya Missionary to Nigeria from 1929 – 1933 and 1935, he visited Zaria from time to time. His stay in Zaria further enhanced the Tabligh activities of the Jama’at through the question and answer sessions and free distribution of pamphlets.
His fascinating method of preaching won the sympathy of the late Alhaji Muhammadu Aminu, who later became the Emir of Zaria and his successor, the late Iyan Gari as well as Alhaji Saidu Zango and a host of other Hausa speaking elites. The Hausa speaking elites held Maulvi Hakeem in high esteem.
Maulvi Muhammad Afzal Qureshi took off where Maulvi F.R. Hakeem left in 1946. He was made a resident Missionary based in the North between 1946 and 1951 and he shuttled between Zaria and Kano during the period. He was the only whiteman riding on a bicycle with a galloping turban which always attracted the admiration of children who usually followed him for a long distance while he was on his way to the preaching venue.
He further improved upon the Quranic Classes and transformed it to a nerve centre of religious activities. Many children, Ahmadis and non-Ahmadis alike, benefited immensely from these classes.
Some of the early notable figures of the Jama’at were late Pa Ipaye, Pa Shonibare, Alfa Sanni, Alhaji Aminu (an Arabic Teacher), Pa Alimi Johnson, Pa O. Gbadamosi, Imam Al-Hassan Dankoli, Pa Anibaba, Pa Y. A. H. Akilapa.
In fact, some sources reported that the land for the Mosque at 50 Yoruba Street was donated by late Pa Shonibare during the tour of Maulana Nayyar to the North in 1922. It is also pertinent to mention the name of Alhaji Waheed Folawiyo (of Lagos) for his untiring efforts at spreading Ahmadiyya in Zaria particularly among Railway workers.
Other visiting Missionaries included Maulvi M. B. Shad, Maulvi M. A. Arif, Maulvi Rochandin, Alhaji Ibrahim Bichi and a host of other Central and Branch Missionaries. In succession to one another and after Maulvi Qureshi, Pa Sekoni became the Imam; Pa Sekoni hailed from Lagos. He was succeeded by Maulvi M. B. Shad, when Maulvi Shad left, Pa Sekoni again became the Imam till 1956. Imam Al-Hassan Dankoli the only Hausa convert took over Imamship from 1956 to 1964 when he breathed his last. Imam Anibaba later took over the mantle from 1964 to 1974. After his demise, Mualim D. A. Ghaniyu a new young Missionary took over as the new Imam and Branch Missionary for Zaria Mission. Mualim D. A. Ghaniyu was posted to Zaria in 1972.
DEVELOPMENT OF THE MOSQUE AND MISSION HOUSE
Although the exact date of the commencement and completion of the Mosque could not be ascertained, but it is clear that the Mosque was built and completed in the 1920’s.
Despite the fact that all hands were on deck since 1972 to build a new Mosque/Mission House, it was not until 28 September, 1980, that the foundation stone was laid by Maulana Muhammad Ajmal Shahid, the then Amir of Nigeria. Prior to this, the mud building had been pulled down in preparation for the foundation laying which had been planned to coincide with Ansarullah 7th Ijtema between 27 and 28 September, 1980.
It is gratifying to note that the foundation stone of the new Mosque had earlier been blessed by the Khalifatul Masih III (r.a.) at Ilaro, during his visit to Nigeria in 1980. In March, 1986, Alhaji S. A. Gbadamosi took over the Chairmanship of the Building Committee from Alhaji A. Y. K. Balogun, who as the Branch Chairman of the Branch Mission felt that there should be division of labour.
Alhaji M. O. Salaam also became the Secretary of the Committee (for the second time). Before the take over by the new chairman most of the major parts of the Mosque project had been completed.
The 4th Khalifa, Hazrat Tahir Ahmad blessed the foundation stone of the new Mission House during his visit to Nigeria at Kano on 16th February, 1988.
It is pertinent to mention that, Zaria Jama’at also produced the first Ahmadiyya trained Hausa Missionary in person of Mualim Abdul Majid Dalil Minjibur. He was born on 6th May, 1962 at Minjibur in Kano State.
The Missionary came to Zaria for enlisted into the Nigerian Army, but eventually could not be enlisted. Through the persuasion of Mualim D. A. Ghaniyu, he signed the Baiat and also became a Missionary.
Thus the Branch President in the person of Alhaji A. Y. K. Balogun took up the matter with the Headquarters for Missionary Training at Ilaro. He was admitted into the Jamia Ahmadiyya Ilaro on 3rd September, 1986 and completed his course on 29 June, 1988, with good passes and also excelled in Qaseeda reading.
KANO MISSION: 1922
The Ahmadiyya Muslim Mission in Kano had its foundation laid by Maulana Abdur-Raheem Nayyar of blessed memory in 1922. The few pioneer members in the Jama’at in the 1920’s had eventually deserted the Jama’at. These pioneers, were able to endure trials and sustained the Jama’at till it waxed stronger in 1930’s.
Late Mr. K. Hanid, probably the first Chairman of the Mission in 1920’s, and Mr. M. S. Akindele converted the erstwhile Funsho twin brothers who were to fly the flag of Ahmadiyya in Kano through thick and thin from its cradle to adulthood. Late Mr. K. Hanid unfortunately went with the seceders eventually. Mr. S. Akindele worked with the Railways in Kano with Mr. Hassan Taiye Funsho.
Through Mr. M. S. Akindele, Mr. Hassan Funsho was introduced into Ahmadiyya. And through Mr. Hassan Taiye Funsho, his twin brother Hussein Kehinde was also introduced into the fold. Mr. K. Hanid and Mr. M. S. Akindele jointly stepped up their preaching to the Funsho twin brothers.
Alhaji Hussein Kehinde Funsho who was also working in Kano with J. Allen & Co. was to become a major pillar of the Kano Mission for a long time before his return to his home town in Lagos. Other pioneer members were Imam Hassan Sadiq (a Sieera-Leonean), Pa Akintayo, Pa Solomon, Alhaji Musadiqu Funsho (elder brother to Funsho twin brothers) and Mr. Balogun.
After the first Secretary of the Jama’at went with the Armed Forces to Burma, Bro. Hassan Taiye Funsho became the Secretary. After the transfer of Bro. Hassan Funsho, Alhaji Musadiqu Funsho the senior brother took over as a Secretary for some time. However, as Alhaji Musadiqu Funsho had little time for the Jama’at, being the Secretary to a produce buying company, his brother Alhaji Hussein Kehinde Funsho had to function as the Jama’at’s Secretary.
Alhaji Hussein Funsho also had to combine the post of Treasurer, as there was no suitable person to do it. He was also appointed to lead the Jama’at as the Imam because the incumbent Imam Hassan Sadiq had become too old and too weak for the job. There was another Sierra-Leonean Missionary who was the Imam before Imam Hassan Sadiq’s time. The Missionary was posted to Eastern Nigeria.
Alhaji Hussein Funsho later became the Chairman. The previous Chairman Mr. K. Hanid had some misunderstanding with the Amir Maulvi F. R. Hakeem he was found to be disloyal until he eventually departed the Jama’at with the seceders. Maulvi Muhammad Afzal Qureshi (1946-51) was one of the earliest Central Missionaries in Kano. He lived in the house of Alhaji H. K. Funsho because there was no Mission House then.
In the early period the Jama’at like Christian organizations, was not allowed to preach in public places within the walled city. Preaching was restricted to the Mosque and private houses.
The progress of the Jama’at is linked with two plots of land on Emir Road graciously donated by the then Emir of Kano. A temporary mud-wall Mosque was first built on the land. Also the first Mission House was also built on a part of the land in the forties with a grant from the Second Khalifah (r.a.).
The grant was handed over to the Chairman Alhaji Funsho by the Amir F.R.A. Hakeem. Manual labour was supplied voluntarily (wakar-amal) by members and Mr. Balogun a builder played a prominent role. It is remarkable that one staunch member of the Jama’at, Bro. Abdur Rasheed Salaudeen was converted in 1951 by Alhaji Funsho, after Bro. Salaudeen had spent one year with Alhaji Funsho as apprentice.
Other important personalities who were converted around that time include Alhaji Bamgbaiye, Mallam Nuhu from Ilorin, and Alhaji Giwa from Offa. Other prominent officers include Mr. Sadiq Akinyode (General Secretary) and Alhaji A. Alamutu (Financial Secretary) in the sixties. It was at first fairly difficult to convert Northern indigenes because of the interpretation of Khataman Nabiyyin and the predominance of the orthodox Muslims in the North.
But with the arduous preaching efforts of a Central Missionary, Maulvi Muhammad Bashir Shad, and with the conversion of active indigenes like Alhaji Ibrahim Bichi,, Mallam Maishanu and Mallam Bichi, as well as the two Haliru brothers from then Bendel State, the Jama’at extended its preaching activities to some public places like cinema halls and were able to win indigenous converts.
In 1960, the Central Mosque building was started on the two plots of land on Emir Road. The Mosque was completed around 1962. Bro. Taiwo was very active in the building of the Mosque.
The Mission House started functioning as Clinic when in 1963 late Dr. Zia-ud-deen (r.a.) arrived in Kano. The Clinic became so popular that the whole Mission House had to be used for the clinic while the doctor moved to a rented apartment in the Syrian Quarters. The clinic further expanded and became a full-fledged hospital located in its own building on Club Road. Dr. Zia-ud-deen did such a marvellous work that the clinic/hospital made Ahmadiyya very popular in Kano. The Jama’at in Kano progressed immensely in the sixties and seventies and many important dignitaries could not join the Jama’at.
Furthermore Ahmadiyya Secondary School has been established in Kano, thanks to the special moral support of the then Governor Audu Bako of blessed memory. What is more, a major street has been named Ahmadiyya Lane by the people and recognised by the Local Government.
Read Details Here »»»
IBADAN MISSION: 1923
Ahmadiyya Movement in Islam was inaugurated in Ibadan City in the year 1923 under the Chairmanship of Brother Alabi of the District Office, Ibadan.
It was learnt that Imam Kasunmu Rufai Ajose, the Imam of the Ahmadiyya Movement in Lagos visited”Baale Shittu of Ibadan in 1923, and presumed that Brother Alabi might have accepted Ahmadiyyat from him.
As time went on, more people joined the Jama’at among whom were Brothers A.A. Balogun, J. Bakare, A.G. Kassim, M.J. Bakare and Sulaiman Onikan.
Imam H.T. Dada of the Ahmadiyya Movement Idikan, Ibadan signed Baiat in Lagos in October 1926 and moved to Ibadan in November 1931 to become the Secretary of the Movement. Bro. Junaid Alao, a Ranger in the Forestry Department, though not the first Imam of the Ahmadiyya Movement in Ibadan, but he was the first educated indigenous Imam of the Movement.
When the rift started in 1934 within the Jama’at in Lagos the members in Ibadan remained loyal to the Khalifat, until 1942 when Bro. Salihudeen Tincous (Tijani) Oshodi were transfered from Lagos to Ibadan (under A.G. Gotteschalk) and he won them all over to the side of Jibril Martins faction. Then, there was no known member of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Mission (the faction loyal to the Khalifa) in Ibadan until 1951.
In 1951, Alhaji A.O. Awoyiga, Imam A.L. Yusuf, Brothers D.O. Aborishade, S.O. Atanda and Abdur-Rahman Olasupo Oke later realised that they were not in the right Jama’at, so they opted out from the Jibril Martin’s faction and appointed Brother Abdur Rahman Olasupo Oke as the Imam. Mr. Oke donated his house at Idikan as the pioneer Mosque to the new group. They sent for Maulana M.N. Naseem Saifi, the Amir and Missionary In charge Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama’at, Nigeria to come to Ibadan from Lagos and they signed the Baiat at his hand.
Later on brothers A.O. Kumoju and Issa Kadiri joined the five members in 1951. Since 1951 among the office bearers who worked relentlessly for the expansion of the Ibadan Jama’at were the late Imam R. Ola Oke, late Imam A.L. Yusuf, and late Imam J.O. Biobaku.Imam Alhaji L.A.O. Balogun who embraced Ahmadiyyat in Agege Lagos in 1944. Alhaji Awoyiga was then the Patron.
The wives of the first five pioneer members who signed Baiat with their husbands at the same time were sisters R. Ola Oke, Mariamo Awoyiga, Aminatu Awoyiga, Atanda, Sister Yusuf alias Iya Tali and Sister Aborishade.
Afterwards, brothers S.A. Salako, Alayaki, Alhaji Ajakaye signed Baiat between 1952 and 1953. Alhaji H.A. Falade signed in 1954 while Late Alhaji R.A. Busari (the then Circuit Chairman) signed in 1958. Alhaji Abdul Ganiy Ahmad signed Baiat in 1959 and Alhaji S.A. Balogun 1961, others are Bro. Y. Atobatele and Mutairu Adedeji signed the Baiat
Muallim J.J. Bada was posted to Ibadan as a Missionary on 10th January 1951.
The first mosque of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Mission was the temporary Mosque at Idikan built with planks on a piece of land donated by Brother A.R. Ola Oke, the first Imam of the Jama’at. Previously, the Jama’at was using the Imam’s house as the Mosque.
Then Ibadan had 26 Mosques and 13 Madrassas. The Central Mosque located at Osoba Street, Oke-Ado, Ibadan. The Mosque was built between 1960 and 1980 and was declared open by Hazrat Hafiz Mirza Nasir Ahmad (Khalifatul Masih III (r.a.) on the 20th August 1980.
Ibadan Jama’at has established several missions within Ibadan suburb:
- Apata Mission 1964
- Odo-Ona Mission 1974
- Aba-Alamu Mission 1976
- Olugbemi Mission 1976
Ibadan Mission which is situated within Ibadan Municipality and which is the mother of other Missions within her suburb is divided into 23 zones as follows:-
- Oke-Ado 1965
- Oranyan 1962
- Oke-Seni 1968
- Agbeni 1968
- Oke-Oluokun 1969
- Aremo 1970
- Kobomoje 1970 Now Monatan Circuit
- Coca-cola 1971 Now Ibadan Circuit
- Agbokojo 1972 Now Ibadan Circuit
- Beere 1974 Now Ibadan Circuit
- Anfani 1978 Now Monatan Circuit
- Odinjo 1978 Now Ibadan Circuit
- Kunfayakun 1978
- Kewulere 1980
- Ashaka/Foko 1981
- Sanyo 1983 Boluwaji Jama’at under monatan Circuit
- Ire-Akari 1983
- Agbowo UI 1983 Under Monatan Circuit
- Ogberetioya 1983 Under Monatan Circuit
- Monatan 1984
- Masfala 1985
- Liberty 1986 Under Ibadan Circuit
- Boluwaji 1983
Apart from Ibadan and its environs, Ibadan spearheaded the creation of many other Missions some of which are Ijebu Igbo Mission (Ijebu Circuit) and Ila-Orangun (Ife Circuit), Esure (Ijebu Circuit), Ilase (Ife Circuit). There were five Fazl-I-Omar Ahmadiyya Schools established in 1955.
The Ahmadiyya Hospital which was established at Agbongbon Street, Ibadan in 1975 was closed down in 1980.
Ibadan Mission had representatives in the Prisoner Welfare Association created by the Government of Oyo State. The Mission donated cash regularly to the Association.The Khuddamul Ahmadiyya, Ibadan donates blood weekly to the Blood Bank for the sick.
IJEDE MISSION: 1924
In the year 1924, Ahmadiyya Muslim Mission was established at Ijede, a small coastal town near Ikorodu now in Lagos State. Notable among those who were instrumental to the introduction and establishment of the Mission at Ijede were Saka Giwa, Abdul Yekeen Alaga, Hassan Oyebanjo and Bisiriyu Akiri.
These humble fishermen were joined by some of their apprentices namely Azeez Olaleye, Bashiru Osho, Amisu Biya and Yusuf Osho. The founding fathers faced opposition not only from the orthodox Muslims but also from their own kith and kin. There was no Mosque initially and a private house of Mr. Hassan Oyebanji (Idi-fruit) was being used as Mosque. Later on, the Jama’at moved to Itudesan ward where they built a Mosque.
In 1926, a Missionary was sent to Ijede from Lagos Headquarters of Ahmadiyya in the person of Alfa Alimi Buari Danmola was a Lagos socialite, an Arabic Scholar and a typist by profession who resigned to fully dedicate his life for Ahmadiyyat. He embraced Ahmadiyyat amidst great opposition in 1921.
lfa Danmola worked hard with dedication and made Ijede Mission one of the earliest well-established branches of Ahmadiyya Jama’at. He did not limit his Missionary activities to Ijede, he also preached to surrounding areas including Ijebu-Ode. He was transferred to Otta where he later took ill. He died from the illness on August 8, 1965.
In 1938 during the great rift within the Ahmadiyya fold in Nigeria, the majority appeared to have followed the seceding group that retained the appellation of Ahmadiyya Movement while the minority that remained loyal to the Khalifah were driven out of the Mosque. The loyal group (as a branch of the International Ahmadiyya Jama’at) started using Muallim Danmola’s house as Mosque until a new Mosque was built.
A new Imam was elected after the separation in the person of Abdul-Yakeen Alaga, a highly devoted Muslim and a founding father of the Jama’at at Ijede. He died in 1963 but his son, Alhaji Muslim Ayo Alaga who was a trained Missionary continued the Missionary efforts of his father. He served the Jama’at also as Imam. The Ahmadiyya Mission Ijede has been able to establish Arabic School for children and a bookshop and a Mission House and a Mosque. There are now three Missions within the town.
OTA MISSION: 1926
Ahmadiyyat came to Ota in 1926 when Alfa B.O. Salihu Bello an Ahmadi Muslim who was a bricklayer came to settle there from Lagos in 1926. He established Islamic and Arabic classes where he taught the people the Qur’an and Islam. He also preached Ahmadiyyat to them.
The pupils used to pray behind him, and some of them signed the Baiat. When the members grew to about seven or nine, they decided to hold Jumah prayer in the house of the grandfather of Aziz Adalemo. When Alfa A.S. Shitta arrived in 1934, he advised them to be calling the Azan before the prayers. Thus the house served as the first mosque for Ahmadiyya Jama’at at Otta.
In 1934, the non-Ahmadi Muslims sent a petition to the Oba and his Chiefs against Alfa B.O. Salihu that it was forbidden by Islam to hold more than one Friday Mosque in a town, and that it would lead to the death of the Oba. When Alfa B.O. Salihu defended himself the Olota and his Chiefs gave approval to the Jama’at to preach and have their Jumah prayers. Alfa Salihu asked the Oba for a piece of land for the Jama’at to build a Mission House and a Mosque. The Oba gave them land at Ipate-Ilata where they built a Mosque and a Mission House.
In 1947, Alfa Danmola was sent to them as a Missionary. He was with them till his death in 1965. He was succeeded by Missionary Alfa Abbas from 1967 – 1970; Missionary Alfa Ekiti succeeded him from 1980.
The foundation members of Sango Otta were: Alhaji Y.S. Salihu Kajola, Alhaji Bashirudeen Owonikoko, Alhaji Eleya Lawal, Alhaji Enukodunmi, Alfa Elias Dada, Bro. Bashirudeen Ibiyemi and Isiaka.
When Sango-Otta Mission was established in 1981, Alhaji A.A. Aboleja built a Mosque in the name of Ahmadiyya Muslim Mission and handed it over to the Jama’at. The Mosque was opened with a Juma’Ahmadiyya Service by Maulana F.I. Anweri, the then Amir and Missionary Incharge, Nigeria in 1983.
EBUTE-METTA MISSION: 1930
Ahmadiyya Movement was introduced into Ebute-Metta in about 1930. One of the most influential members then was Alfa Muhammad Abdul Qadir. Ebute-Metta Mission was then referred to as Division IV. Their Mosque was situated at Stranchan Street, now Herbert Macaulay Street, Ebute-Metta. Sheikh M.A. Qadir established an Arabic and Islamic Classes within the Mosque Complex for the children.
In 1935, when crisis erupted within the Ahmadiyya Movement in Islam in Nigeria, all the members of the Movement in Division IV parted away with the Khalifa and went over to the Jibril Martin Faction. Only Shaikh M.A. Qadir and his Arabic students remained with Sadr Anjuman Ahmadiyya Qadian, Nigeria. He moved to 16 Glover Street, Ebute-Metta in 1939 to establish the first Anjuman Ahmadiyya Mosque Ebute-Metta with his own money. This was the beginning of the Sadr Anjuman Ahmadiyya Jama’at at Ebute-Metta and its environs.
Shaikh M.A. Qadir and his Ahmadi colleagues used to go for Jumah Service at 10 Egerton Road, Alakoro in Lagos Island where the Missions Headquarters was. Later Alhaji Maulana F.R. Hakeem (may Allah raise his rank in Paradise), the then Amir and Missionary- In- Charge, Nigeria was a close friend of Sheikh M.A. Qadir and paid regular visits to Ebute-Metta. Sheikh M.A. Qadir preached Ahmadiyyat to people in Ebute-Metta and its environs. Among the early converts were the late Alhaji Oyarebu, Alhaji W.O. Musa, A.A. Adamo, J.M.A. Gimba, Y.A. Shobambi, Y.A. Olakanmbi, S.A. Olukotun. There were regular preaching activities as well as organized Adult Arabic classes for members.
Shaikh M.A. Qadir organized Ahmadiyya Youth Organisation in 1950. When Shaikh M.A. Qadir moved to his permanent residence at Shomolu, the Mosque at Ebute-Metta began to shift from one temporary site to another.
OMU-IJEBU MISSION: 1931
In 1931, Alfa Sadiq Bigman returned from Epe on a trading expedition to Omu-Ijebu. He arranged a lecture team headed by Alfa Yekini Abaniwonnda from Epe. The lecture was a huge success and a few young-men benefited from it and signed the Baiat.
Around that time one Alfa Tijani Braimoh had also accepted Baiat from the Jama’at at Ijebu-Ode. The few converts were saying their daily prayers on one side of the town’s Central Mosque. There was great opposition to this from the non-Ahmadi Muslims. The Ahmadis bought a piece of land and built their first Mosque. The land belonged to Pa Salawudeen Braimoh who was the Chairman of the Mission.
Some of the early converts were: The late Adam Ibrahim, Pa Salawudeen Braimoh, Bros. Aminu, Adam Ogunsanya, Yusuf Koya, Alhaji K.O.S. Banjo, Alhaji L. Aregbe, Pa Elebutu and Ismail Buraimoh.
Later, a more spacious mosque was put up. The Mission had been growing steadily and a number of its young members were helping the Jama’at in different capacities.
ONDO MISSION: 1932
The origin of Ahmadiyya Muslim Mission can be traced to the late Alfa S.B. Ope who brought Ahmadiyya teaching to Ondo. He was an Ahmadi Muslim from Ope Compound, Epetedo, Lagos and travelled to Ondo by the riverside through Okitipupa. He settled in Ondo as a registered building contractor. He preached Islam to the people and was able to win four strong converts who signed the Baiat through him.
These four pioneer members were Alfa Ipaye, Brother Lijadu, Bro. Idowu and Alfa Sanni Adedeji Agbegiworoko, a professional photographer, all of blessed memory. Alfa Agbegiworoko was first Circuit Chairman of Ondo Circuit, a very prominent and active leader and a member of the then Management Committee for many years. Alfa Bello Akinfemiwa joined those five pioneers to establish the Ahmadiyya Muslim Mission. Alfa S.B. Ope was made the Imam.
The Jama’at first prayed at Okerowo Street under a tree in front of Chief Lisa’s house. They left the place for a small Mosque attached to Alfa Ipaye’s house on Barrack Road, Ondo.
The Jama’at used Alfa Ipaye’s place until they were able to build the Central Mosque at Losunla Junction, Ondo. The land on which the Central Mosque was built was purchased from Chief Jubril Akintunde, the then Chief Losunla of Ondo.
ADO-ODO MISSION: 1932
In 1932, Pa Gbadamosi Opaleye introduced Ahmadiyyat into Ado-Odo. The late Opaleye wanted to place his son in a Christian School and the son was refused admission on the grounds that he was not a Christian. He was able to obtain admission for his son in Taalim-ul-Islam School at Elegbata Lagos.
In appreciation of this, he accepted Ahmadiyya and introduced Ahmadiyya Muslim Mission to Ado-Odo. He invited Alhaji K.R. Ajose the Chief Imam of Ahmadiyya Movement in Islam, Lagos, then Alhaji Y.P.O. Shodeinde and Alhaji Sogunro in 1932 to launch the Mission.
The first sets of Ahmadis were Pa Gbadamosi Opaleye, Alfa Kadiri, Chief Ali Opaleye and Ganiy Offa. They had some difficulties with the non-Ahmadis. They said their prayers and carried on their activities in a Mosque at Idogo. However, the mission suffered a temporary set back with the death of late Pa Gbadamosi on 1st January 1938.
In 1963, Alhaji R.A. Salami went to work at Ado-Odo Farm Settlement, popularly known as Agric, as a bricklayer. His exemplary conduct attracted Alfa Ahmad Salisu and Alhaji Ayyuba Bakare who happened to work with him and they signed the Baiat.
Soon, a group comprising Alfa Ahmad Salisu, Alhaji Ayyuba Bakare, Bros. Zaid Salami, Bello and one sister Nimotallah formed the Jama’at at Ado-Odo and used a hired shop at Idokisi as a mosque as from 1964. In 1967, they lost the mosque at Idokisi due to attacks by non-Ahmadis. For the three years after the incident, they offered their prayers under a bamboo shed and increased in strength.
The present mosque was launched on 31st January 1970 by Alhaji A.A. Abiola (the late National President). Several attacks and several obstacles confronted the building of the mosque at Ijomo due to the actions of non-Ahmadi Muslims as well as the pagans, some of them predicting that Ahmadiyyat would die within ten years. One man vowed that Ahmadiyya would not build the Mosque “except over my dead body”. So the building of the Mosque dragged on for a long time. Not minding him the Ahmadis fixed a date to commence work on the mosque.
The man who said the Mosque would not be built except over his dead body died in a motor accident before the fixed date expired. At last, Ijomo mosque was built with the help of Allah, and over his dead body.
Prominent staunch members are Bros. I.A. Fagbenro Yusuf Odokun, Zaid Salam, Ismaila Yusuf, Jimoh Adeyemi, M.A. Balogun, Alhaji L.B. Olaleye and Bro. Fattah Olayiwola.
EXPANSION TO IJOMO, AKASUN AND KENTO
Ahmadiyyat was introduced to Ijomo by Alfa Ahmad Salisu of Ado-Odo Mission in 1966. Among the first members were Sister Asimowu Avoseh, Bro. Rahman Wuzu and Jimoh Oke.
Ahmadiyyat was also introduced to Akasun Village by Bro. Rahman Wuzu in 1984. The first set of members to accept Ahmadiyyat there were Brother Akibu Wuzu and his family, Bros. Abdul Karim Iroko, Abdul Fattah Iroko and Tajudeen Iroko. They erected a shed for saying their prayers.
In 1985, Bro. Yisa Oyetola a member of Ado-Odo Mission was posted to Kento Village as a teacher. He introduced Ahmadiyyat to the people there. The people signed the Baiat there. A mosque had already been built before the introduction of the Jamaat The mosque became Ahmadiyya Mosque.
This piece is taken from the website of Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama’at Nigeria.
See on-line at: http://www.ahmadiyyang.org/amjn-early-period.php